I’m the employee of the company that uses the app and when I first started working and using this app it was totally fine once the new update came in I couldn’t see my schedules on anywhere but the roster. Not under my schedule, availability, manage my shift, or at the dashboard. The GM and DM have tired many things with me to fix it, deleting me from the system ( fire and rehire), me deleting the app and reinstalling, nothing works. It’s an great app but the amount of time for me to find if I’m scheduled for a day or not is extremely annoying because I would have to slowly go through the roster of each day and find my name and the time. The app works for everyone else and I know it’s not my phone becuase I have went online as well to see if I can see it there but nope so something is either wrong with my account or something.... I am contacted the support team multiple times. After emailing back an forth for maybe only 3 times I stopped getting responses. I know apps are hard to manage and it can never be prefect with the technology but I don’t really the effort in maintaining.